Friday, April 26, 2013

goodbye gypsy

the waiter said, "well, if you like the taste of gin you may like it, but i'm not a big fan of it."  he wore a look of disgust.  i doubted the man found himself to be a big fan of anything.  he certainly had not sold us on anything.

yesterday had been sunny so we had hoped to get a seat outside on the patio of departure.  adam and i had come for the view.  for a nice dinner.  for a drink.   we had been to this restaurant together, several months before, to celebrate a promotion i had received.  adam had suggested we return last night to celebrate his new job, having received his first paycheck and his tax refund from the irs.

i said, "to having it all finally come together for you."  adam looked happy.  he smiled at me and look past me out the window at the view of portland.  gin and bourbon and crab fried rice and shu mai and glazed pork belly.  the room slowly darkened and our moods lifted and we left the restaurant very happy.

we walked a couple blocks over and got frozen yogurt.

adam has to wake early for his job.  early.  so early.  it hurts being awake that early.  it's too earlygodhelpmeican'tbeawakeatthishour.  ok.  it's a fairly normal hour, normal to most americans who have to wake and commute to the office.  adam at least just has to bike about ten blocks from his house.  though for one job i held i needed to be at work at 5am, i've grown spoiled.  i try to be at work by 8.30.  the latest 9am.  but sometimes, i don't get there until 9.45, such as monday morning when through the haze of my hangover i found it hard to even find the office.  i come in late and stay late.  i make up for it.  adam has to be responsible and get to work early, which i take as a burden on my sleep, on my rest, on my beauty, and my patience.

my eyes can't even open fully at that hour.  ungodly hour.  the morning hours before work are the worst - worse than late night insomnia hours.  adam leans over the bed and kisses my forehead, benediction, acknowledgement that i can't get out of bed just yet.  i smile.  close my eyes.  and pull the blanket over my face.

No comments: